<span class="highlight">Boat</span> <span class="highlight">Loader</span> reduction gearbox details needed

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 15:54
ThreadID: 84465 Views:5909 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering building my own boat loader for the top of the 'cruiser.

One thing (amongst a few others) is the type / style of the reduction gear box required to use a 12v drill on to operate the winch. I have not had the opportunity to see any makes or models at close range and so I am running blind apart from a few photos on the web of the commercial ones out there

I have a few ideas of my own but the one thing I cant afford to make a mistake in purchasing is the winch assembley.........is there anyone able to tell me what theirs is?.......ratio, make / type / style, tech details etc

much appreciated if some info could be sent

had anyone made their own like I am considering ?....yes, I have used this sites search engine

Thanks
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: time waster - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 17:30

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 17:30
I made our boat loader using the winch on the car, not sure how to post pic's here but I have them on the caravan forum

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=12617

Christian
AnswerID: 445982

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 22:02

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 22:02
Thnaks for that...looks very good apart from the initial lift to the vertical.......

.I do have a front mounted winch such as you have and am considering some form of yoke to pull it from the upright position and up and over as well

maybe at the end of the day I may have to lift just like you do abd then follow your example

cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 718313

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 18:02

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 18:02
you cab buy very cheap boat trailer winches from some auot shops, light duty but ample for what you want.... i think ??...
I am fairly certain thye are under $200, you will end up spending more in the long run and they have the remote controls and all ...
E-bay have em for $120 bucks, 2000lbs with wire rope, hooks, remote control ect .... cant go wrong :=)
AnswerID: 445987

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 18:08

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 18:08
say what,,,, my spelling is crap...... beer oclock time :-)
FollowupID: 718300

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 22:00

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 22:00
Thanks for that......what I am chasing is the specs or where to buy a worm drive reduction gearbox suitable to be turned by a 12v electric drill..

this is what the commercial loaders use.........I was hoping someone with one can look on theirs and see if it has a brand or sticker or specs
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 718312

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 22:29

Saturday, Feb 19, 2011 at 22:29
jump on line .... rs components australia ..... everything you will need to build what you want ,,(well i think anyway..)
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 718314

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 00:58

Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 00:58
I did not see any worm drives in the latest RS components catalog.

Bungarra, I'm making my own worm drive. 36:1 should do it, testing this tomorrow.
Its a side loader BTW.
FollowupID: 718324

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 09:43

Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 09:43
V8...I am not completely locked into a rear loader and would be interested in any comments and ideas you have on the side loader you are building

as for making your own worm drive that sounds like something interesting but tricky......I have a well equiped workshop but I am assuming a lathe of some sort is required unless there are various componets off the shelf that you are sourcing?

cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 718330

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Monday, Feb 21, 2011 at 02:15

Monday, Feb 21, 2011 at 02:15
bungarra, the reason for a side loader is the 26' sailboat hitched behind the car - too much trouble to unhitch it to load/unload the dinghy.

Making worm drives is not too tricky - I'm not a machinist - but doable on a decent lathe. The worm only requires a feed ratio to suit (4mm pitch in my case) and a tool ground for acme thread.

The gear is the tricky bit, I managed to adapt the thread cutting spindle with an addition of a toothed belt sprocket. This drives another at about level with the compound feed handwheel. I then fit my dividing head in place of the compound feed, couple its input via universal joints (from 1/4" socket drives) to the output of the toothed belt shaft.
Working through the change gear ratios of the thread cutting spindle I found a large number of gear teeth were possible, from 36 to many hundreds...

The table of the dividing head is horizontal and rotates the gear blank at the disired speed ratio to the lathe spindle. A single cutting tooth rotating on a shaft between chuck and life center does the gear cutting.

Good luck if you're game to try this, I found it fun to figure out, have never read or heard anybody else doing it this way.
FollowupID: 718420

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:32

Sunday, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:32
Hi Bungarra,

My nephew made his own roof top loader using , as suggested above, a cheap boat winch from Supercheap.

His is fitted to the front rack if I can recall corectly and the whole unit is as neat as a bought one.

He never fails to get asked questions about it wherever he goes.

Pretty simple setup from what I saw.

If you get stuck MM me and I will get some pics and details from him and send them to you via email or MM.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 446012

Sponsored Links